Monday, February 20, 2012

February Totals So Far

Wilmont Ally

It's that time of year again, Canadian Christmas.  Roll Up The Rim is back and the internets are buzzing up a storm!  Canadians LOVE Roll Up The Rim.  And why wouldn't you be excited?  Tim Horton's is giving away 40 Toyota Camry Hybrids, 100 Panasonic 3D Viera Tvs, Coleman Camp Gear, 5000 Panasonic Lumix cameras, and 47,000,000 DONUTS!!!

In fact, the first words I heard anyone speak today was about Roll Up The Rim!  I was waiting for my bus and a guy got out of his truck and yelled "It's Rim Rollin time again!".  At least, I assume he meant Roll Up The Rim.

While I was on the bus on the way to work, I saw my first RUTR cup, but I didn't make the bus stop so I could pick it up.  It was about 8:30 am ... and I'm betting the Tim Horton's opens at 6:00 am.  So within 2 and a half hours of the campaign starting, I saw a discarded RUTR cup.

Here are February's totals thus far:

Tim Horton's 66
McCafe 5
Other 8
Roll Up The Rim 2
Reids 4
Styrofoam 1
Timothy's 1

February total 87

*  36 of those cups were found in parking lots on prospect and they were mostly Tim Horton cups.

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna touch on shakey ground here, Chaf, but it's something I've always thought of: "What kind of people think it's ok to throw trash on the ground?" I consider this when I see MacDonalds or KFC bags strewn across the highway shoulder. It's never the packaging from a veggie wrap, or a spinach salad - usually your standard burger combo deal. Is that why you're looking at the sources of the cups? Would someone who gets their medium (is that a small now??) double-double from Tim Horton's more likely to litter than someone who buys organic fair-trade from Paradise Imports or Cedar Tree? Is there a connection between the willingness to throw trash on the ground and the short sitedness of putting trash in your body? Hmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    This is something I wonder all the time. What "type" of person just tosses garbage out of their car window? I hate to generalize, but there are some people that just think that it's ok to toss trash when you're out of the city limits for some odd reason.

    So are you saying that since Tim Horton's doesn't sell fair trade coffee (I think) or use biodegradable / recyclable cups, that all their coffee drinkers don't care about the environment?

    I bet veggie wrap garbage makes it out into the wild as well but they're just not branded and easily identifiable.

    The other thing to consider is how North Americans eat entire meals in their cars as they are driving. This is not a popular practice in European countries as drive thrus are extremely rare in most cases as I understand.

    ReplyDelete